Thursday, January 29, 2009

Southern Graphics Council Conferance

In late March (Spring break actually) I will be leaving for Chicago with nearly a dozen of my fellow PSU Printmaking students. We are going to the Southern Graphics Council Conference, which is basically the largest Printmaking convention in the world. There will be Demos, Lectures, Portfolio Presentations, Print Exchanges, Booze, Partying, Life Changing Experiences, Sexy Sexual Situations, and Fun Had By All. Not to mention it will be in Chicago, Eff Yeah! I am really very excited about this.

Today though has been very stressful. We are all hoping for a grant to go through to help us all get there. The problem is that in order to apply for the grant we must first supply proof of our expenses, such as airfare, lodging, registration fees, and the like. What this means is that I have taken $1200 out of my checking account today, hoping that they approve my grant application. This is quite nerve racking. I cannot afford this great expense without the grant. My Professors have assured us that it will all work out, but it's not a certainty. I am trying to breath deeply and relax. The beer I just finished is helping.

If this all works out, I am almost guaranteed a life changing experience as it pertains to myself as an artist. Three years ago, six students went to the conference. After their trip, these students (now all graduated) produced some of the best work I have seen come out of our quaint studio at PSU. It was truly a formative experience for them. I have been floundering recently; lost in what direction I want to take my art. I think this will be the kick in the pants that I need.

2 comments:

Robert Wheeler said...

Oh wow. Holy crap man, good luck. That sounds especially incredible.

Um, look at the silver lining, if you don't get paid back, you can get into the starving part of the starving artist?

(Though I honestly can't imagine a less fat Eli! I am sure the universe will not allow this.)

remigious said...

Oh wow that sounds awesome! I'm sure everything will be fine.