Wednesday, January 14, 2009

harumph

So, I am taking two P.E. classes to fill the rest of my schedule for full-time status. These classes are awesome because they are Kung Fu classes. Yay for me. Connie Zhang is PSU's resident Wushu master. Connie started training in Kung Fu in southern China as a little girl, but during the Cultural Revolution was displaced and ended up starving in northern China. Obviously she had to quite her practices. Eventually, her life settled down and she was able to enter school as one of the thousands of wushu students. I am not sure how she ended up in Portland, but at some point in the early nineties she got a degree from PSU. Soon afterward she began teaching Tai Chi and Wushu classes at the university.

I have taken three classes from her at this point. Two tai chi straight sword forms, and one tai chi saber form. She has come to think of me as her T.A. which can be rather annoying at times, but usually pretty fun. I actually taught the last four weeks of the saber class, guiding the other students through one of the saber forms that I have learned from my kung fu school. This term I am taking an empty hand wushu set. It is a companion set to a form that I already know, which is really cool. I am also taking a kung fu fan form, which is a blast. The form is choreographed to…wait for it…wait for it…MUSIC! Holy crap is it awesome in the dorkiest of ways. All of the steps coincide with the lyrics and music, and at certain points you open the fan with a loud snapping noise. So awesome. People are constantly poking there heads in from the hallway to see what all of the commotion is. which is rather embarrassing. I wonder what the must think when they see a room full of whiteys jumping around with fans, listening to Chinese folk music booming out of a little CD player. I like to imagine that they are jealous of how cool we look.



So. I have THREE brand spanking new prints due tomorrow by 2pm. I have completed one. I am fucked. Thus: Harumph!


::UPDATE::
This is the form! with the same music and everything!

3 comments:

Katelyn said...

That is so awesome! But I won't really consider that you have learned the form until you too can do it in a pink Chinese suit and sing the song at the same time! You are gonna be in such good shape at the end of the term, I'm jealous! I'm totally going to make you teach the next road (sp?) form, and for that matter retesch me the 1st one. Good luck with your next 2 prints. I know they'll be really good.

Twilight Spy said...

Maybe you can learn to use your fan to snap bugs off leaves and knock over soda cans...very cool.

Oh, and to your earlier post about Camille...Have you heard her version of "Too Drunk to Fuck." Blasphemy if your are a hardcore Dead Kennedys fan, but otherwise quite charming.

kalbojehki said...

That is rad, brah. Your teacher's story is so intense! And Katelyn's right, you really need to wear the silk suit and sing or it just isn't.... authentic.

And to answer your question from my blog, I was tired and depressed and not making a whole lot of sense so the whole rape culture=America=Taiwan doesn't entirely pan out. What I was talking about in terms of "rape culture," though, is best summed up by the true statement that no woman feels safe going out alone at night (with some exceptions, generalizations not good nuurr shit I am exhausted again). Every woman takes it as a given that there are certain precautions one must take in public. This is just normal and I think it's really fucked up that it's normal.
As for the western culture seeping into this country, I'm mostly talking about advertisements showing women made up a certain way, but I don't want to push that as a "western" issue because the East has it's own incredible sexism and white-centric-ness so... yeah. Some business-women look down on me, and I suspect that they look down on every woman they come across (especially those who aren't made up), and that's something I noticed a lot in America, a phenomenon that Inga Muscio talks about in her book "Cunt."
that was a lot less eloquent and a lot longer than I anticipated -_-