Sunday, January 11, 2009

K and Z's

So for awhile now I've been hearing about this Deli somewhere downtown that is supposed to be absolutely amazing. Sandwiches stacked, Dagwood style, 6 inches high. House made Pickles. Duck fat fried chicken(!) These are the sorts of rumors that points my ears like a German shepherd.



On Thursday I was finally able to go to Kenny and Zuke's, a jewish delicatessen bringing a slice of NYC to Portland. Where the menu is strongly New York, the decor is very much Portland. Lofty ceilings with clear, bright lighting from their large windows. Simple and modern furnishings welcome a diner to sit and linger. The aura of hip PDX is cut, most appealingly, by the greasy haze drifting from the griddle in the middle of the spacious room, creating an atmosphere that says "You, Sirrah, are about to EAT."

I went with my Printmaking buddies, Ben and Ross, during a break between classes, taking the street car from campus. We were seated instantly and presented with huge menus spanning a wide range of categories and options. I ordered a beer. 'Twas a necessity. I got the Alameda Porter, a pint so good I began to bug my dinning partners by incessantly commenting on it. Anyway, The Menu. The menu I got lost in, deciding finally that a sandwich is a good place to start. Momentarily though I was balked by the price. $14 for a sandwich?! I knew that I was about to have a near religious experience, so I pushed down my inner penny-pincher and dove in Head first.

"I'll have the Pastrami, Turkey, and Pickled Tongue Sandwich Please. Oh, and the side of Potato Salad."

Yes, Pickled Tongue. I was quite hesitant about this, but I thought "when in Rome…" Now, I have had my share of Lengua in Tacos and Burritos, but Pickled? This was surely going to be a new experience. I learned my lesson that night. The lesson was that the next time I go to K and Z's I must order nothing but the Pickled Tongue on my Sandwich. It was that amazing. Think rather "brined" instead of pickled. What resulted was some of the most succulent, tender, hearty, meaty Meat I have ever tasted. Trust me. Let me not forget the Pastrami! R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S! And the Turkey? Outstanding! The sandwich itself was a goliath. I ate but HALF of it! For those who know me well, this should be quite telling. It was one of the better sandwiches of my life.

The catch. They used fennel seed bread. And not just a peppering of the accursed seed upon the crust, but throughout the matrix of the bread itself. This was the blow that struck it from my list of Top Five sandwiches. I pray that they have a substitute on standby for sane folk like myself who will not tolerate such a blatant Sin, flying in the face of all that is good and decent. May the left hand of God strike them down if this should be Sour Dough. My wrath will be a veritable Juggernaut.

So anyway. I will be going back. Likely often. Join me, won't you.

http://www.kennyandzukes.com/

No comments: