Saturday, January 17, 2009

Hiroshi

So, sometime back in December I pitched the idea to my friends that instead of buying christmas gifts for each other, we would go to a very nice dinner. I suggested Hiroshi, Hiroshi is without a doubt the best sushi place in town. Here is the story I usually tell about this place (copied and pasted from my user review on a local food website):

"In the spring of 2000, I sat down for lunch in a quaint living room in Santo-cho, Japan. The lunch was made by an old man who ran a sushi restaurant next door. It was the best sushi I had ever had in my entire life. No wonder, considering that this man makes sushi for the Emperor and his family whenever they are in that part of the country. I thought I would never have better sushi. Hiroshi proved me wrong. I will keep this short: Hiroshi will serve you the best sushi you are likely to ever have, and without a doubt the best in portland. Go there now."

So yeah, really good. I had the very fine privilege of being taken there by Niko and Stephanie for my twenty second birthday and have dreamed of going back ever since. Tonight, my dream was realized. Here are some pictures from the night, enjoy:

The players



Appetizers:


The Sushi (what I was able to get pictures of, there was a lot more):





I hate Uni. But I had to admit that I had never had it at a legit sushi restaurant, nor in over ten years. I thought I would give it another chance:

I'm not sure how I feel about it.
The Desserts:
ginger ice cream

Green tea ice cream

Green tea creme brulee

Green tea sponge cake

The bill(!):



This was one of the better meals of my life.

3 comments:

Robert Wheeler said...

Holy shit that's expensive. But damn does it sound worth it.
I was thinking of saying we should get the Sunny Special to celebrate, as soon as I'm able to, but maybe we should do this instead?
:droools:

By the way, I had avocado rolls for the first time recently. I can now understand why people who can stand crab salad would love California rolls.

kalbojehki said...

That's a really clever idea you had. And a neat story. BUT YOU KNEW THAT
UNI IS HELLA SICK

Eliyahu said...

Yes, I knew that uni is hecka sick. But I also know that there is a HUGE uni following in the world and I thought that there must be something to it to cause this. I thought that if I were to try it again, this would be the place to do so. I now know that I don't care for it, it certainly wasn't as bad as I recall though. The best description I have heard comes from Tyson: it tastes like pollution.