Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Pasta like a whore would make"


So I made some Puttanesca for dinner. Apparently the name means "Whore Pasta" or "Pasta like a whore would make." It's not clear why it is called this, but it is believed that it got this name in the 1950's when Italy's prostitutes were state sanctioned and were only allowed to leave their house/brothel once a week to go shopping for groceries. What this led to was a pasta dish that used common ingredients found in the larder, such as cans of olives, tins of anchovies, olive oil, and tomatoes. This means that it is a rather modern dish that doesn't rely on seasonal ingredients.

I used shallots, minced crimini mushrooms and prosciutto for flavor, loads of garlic, basil, diced tomatoes, sardines, kalamata olives, and a touch of chevre to add richness. Oh yeah, and gallons of olive oil. Rigatoni was my pasta of choice.

I am now in pain because I ate too much. I am a silly, silly person. It was good though.

2 comments:

Eliyahu said...

my iPhone camera made the colors all muted in those photos. lame. It was much hardier looking in person, and less like vomit.

kalbojehki said...

It's really pretty!
Pace yourself, man!