Monday, January 12, 2009

Music you should know and might not be aware of. PART TWO

AKA "In which I ramble about music nobody else cares about"


°Janelle Monae, Metropolis: The Chase Suite

It is unfortunate that this album is only an EP, because it is freaking awesome. Basically it tells the story of a robot girl who falls in love (taboo) and is persecuted by the gub'ment, forcing her to flee. What I can't describe well is the type of music this is. I might say Soul? R/B? Hip Hop? Other? I'm not sure what it is but it's great. hmm, I just looked it up, Wikipedia says "Rock, alternative, soul, electronica, afropunk, futuristic" which I guess sounds right. Anyway, This album was originally going to be just one "Suite" out of four, but plans were changed to release it as one LP later this year. I can't wait. Things I like about Ms. Monae: Crazy good voice. Dances like a wiggly droid/god. Is only 23. The way she dresses. Crazy hot. LISTEN NOW!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgbzNHVg0c

Butter 08

This is band composed of several people from different bands. They produced one self titled album in 1996. The band was formed when Cibo Matto, another of my favorites, invited some guests to help record "know your chicken" on their first album. This song was sent to a producer who instantly signed everyone in to a different band. This band became butter 08. I was introduced to Butter 08 by my uncle while I was in Philadelphia in 2002. Ever since then I have been looking for a copy of it, which proved difficult for it has been long out of print. I finally found it in the KBOO record library while DJing a set in the middle of the night. I digress. The one phrase that was bandied about by critics the most upon Butter 08's release was how "Post Modern" it is. Now, I don't think it is very avant garde today, but back in '96 it made a freaking splash. Once again, this album is a little hard to classify. I would certainly say punk. And Hip Hop. and blues. and touches of bossa nova. Perhaps the non-descriptive "alternative" is best used here. Any way, I love this album. LISTEN NOW!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WweOg2krMPE


More to come!

No comments: