Monday, January 19, 2009

Bush, Obama, Adams

There really is nothing I could say that a million other people haven't already said better about our new president. Or for that matter, our exiting one. I can only talk about me.

I was fifteen years old when Bush was elected in 2000. It was that election in which I became aware of politics and how they effect me. My high school was heavily involved with the No on 9 campaign, and it was this more than the presidential election that got me interested. Of course Dubya was also a hot topic, but Measure 9 (prohibiting any instruction in public schools that dealt with homosexuality. This included any conversation concerning HIV/AIDS) was much more visceral to our heavily GLBTQ school. The synonym for Satan was shared by both George W. Bush and Lon Mabon. It was with delight at Measure 9's failure, and horror at Bush's election that I became aware of the political world.

Basically what this means is that I have never been a politically conscious person without Bush and Cheney in office. I have never been proud of America's choices. I have developed politically filled with cynicism and loathing. The No Child Left Behind Act was the first blow, especially with my dad being a teacher. September 11th happened which, of course, lead to the war in Afghanistan, The Patriot Act, the war in Iraq, Guantanamo Bay, Wire taping, Abu Ghraib, and Torture. The Clear Skies Act was a joke, flagrantly allowing millions of more tons of pollution to be dumped into the air. … Ugh. It could go on and on.

I have no idea how to behave as a proud American. And you know what, it's going to take a lot more than Obama in the white house to make me stand up tall, hand to heart, and pledge my allegiance to the flag. I am truly blessed to be born in the U.S. I fully recognize this fact, yet, tomorrow when Obama is sworn in, the polar bears will still be swimming, the CIA will still be up to nefarious, clandestine shit, millions will be without healthcare, Iraqis will still be dying, our school systems will continue to fail, the economy will go on tanking, and my gay friends will still be less than whole people.

You see? Eight years of cynicism will do this to a fellow.

I am rambling. Basically, I am saying that nothing is truly better now. Obama is a great man. I felt great honor in being able to vote for him. Tomorrow will be a day to remember. But now that we have a responsible president we must give him hell.

Oh, and get this. Our new, progressive, mayor has been nailing an eighteen year old. Great. On one hand, it is absolutely none of our business. He has done nothing illegal. Yes, he lied about it, and he asked the young gentleman in question to lie about it, but again: none of our goddamned business. On the other hand, What in the fuck was he thinking? People are already shouting for his resignation.

ah, I just don't know.

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day everyone!

2 comments:

remigious said...

Thank you for saying pretty much what I was thinking, except you did it in a much more eloquent manner. I remember the morning of 9/11, I was at the bus stop waiting with you to go to school and I recall that you were freaking out but I had not the vaguest notion of what the big fucking deal was. I think that was the day I began to think about what was going on in the world and slowly realized that it did not revolve around myself.
I am happy that Obama is president, but I am also still scared that I can't find a job and have no health insurance. He has promised us a lot, he has promised us hope and I sincerely hope that things will begin to change soon for the better.
So anyway, great post!

Eliyahu said...

heh, the very first person I unloaded my 9/11 freak out on was your dad over the phone. He very calmly told me it would be Okay. hahahaha, it was the first time he had ever made me feel at ease.

It is important to remember that Obama has promised us nothing. Many of these problems we face today are not top down issues that Obama and his administration will cure with the flip of a switch. The bottom up approach is, of course, much easier said than done. Hell, I have no idea what to do about it. But we can only strive to help others, and thus strengthen our community, which will then support us.

Rambling again.