Saturday, February 14, 2009

Crusty bike people battle for victory

Today I called Tyson and asked what the dilly was. The dilly was that there was going to be a large bike event in which people raced their home fabricated bicycle-chariots. This sounded fun. I met up with Tyson at the rally point, a house off of 28th and Hawthorne where lunch was being served and bikes were piled high. We hung out there and scoped bikes while the event got its shit together.


This thing (I called it the TechnoDrome) was awesome, two people side by side racing in a battle cage.




We then all biked to Laurelhurst Park in a huge snaking line stretching blocks and mobbed it.



Then the Fuzz showed up

We just ignored them and went ahead with what we were doing.

WHICH WAS RACE! The track was the path that wraps around the pond in the center of Laurelhurst.

The beginning of the race:


Yes, you are seeing four unicyclists pulling a chariot. Awesome.

This is the only shot of the end of the first heat that I have. Somewhere along the way this homeless man joined in. He came in third! After the race he smoked some pot out of a carrot.


Some more shots of the action






I got really cold and when they were done with the races I went home. They moved on to another location and battled it out in a demolition derby style, last man standing, smash up. I'll have to hear from Tyson how that went.

2 comments:

kalbojehki said...

oh my god, you have made me so homesick I could barf. while crying.

Eliyahu said...

Yeah, this was extraordinarily "Portland"