Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sandwich

So far, 2009 has been the Year of the Sandwich. Well, for me at least. It begun in January with my first trip to Kenny and Zuke's and my subsequent devotion to the Pickled Tongue Sandwich; It continued at Ping with the Ju Pa Bao, an amazingly simple pork sandwich; And all the while bolstered by my obsession with the Turkey and Brie panini at Crema, and healthy respect for the Portabella Mushroom Sandwich at the Gotham Tavern.

2009 continued to be efffing awesome in the sandwich department, yesterday with my regrettably late visit to Meat Cheese Bread. I have heard nothing but good things about this small shop on lower SE Stark, and yesterday found myself with a little bit of time for lunch and remembered this place. Boy am I glad I went.

I left my sandwich selection up to chance, telling the nice woman behind the counter to pick a number. "Three," she said, unwittingly choosing the Smoked Ham Sandwich for my lunch. At $4.95 I was already enjoying the sandwich before the ticket even reached the kitchen.

Let me say this (and please know that I say it without facetiousness or exaggeration, as I am wont to do): The very moment I bit into the sandwich I craved another. Instantaneously! The bun was light yet savory, the meat subtly smoky but not overpowering (as ham can sometimes be), and the Gruyere and Aioli delightfully lubricating the entire thing. Heaven.



Kenny & Zuke's

Ping

Crema

Gotham Tavern

Meat Cheese Bread





Song of the Day: So Far To Go (Instrumental), J Dilla

No comments: