Saturday, March 7, 2009

Ping

Some of you may have heard my ramblings about Pok Pok/Whiskey Soda Lounge, one of my favorite restaurants. It is indigenous Thai food done right. If you've been there you can imagine my delight in learning that the owner and chef was planning to open an izakaya style restaurant in the old Hung Far Low Building in Chinatown. Remember this sign?

It's in that building, 4th and NW Couch st.

SO! Ping opened a week or two ago and I have been dying to go ever since. I found myself downtown after a long day in the print studio and decided to go and check it out. I was a little sad to see that the sign was gone. I had hoped that they would keep it and just change the words. Oh well.

I must say, I am highly impressed with the decor of the place. It's an absolutely perfect blend of modern design and East Asian aesthetic. The open kitchen is perfect, putting the grill next to the salad and soup prep, next to the dishwasher, next to the bartender, all behind the same counter. This, to me, shows that they are concerned with the food complimenting the drinks and vice-versa, putting the cooks right smack next to the bartender, occupying the same space. They chatted to each other all night.

Anyway! The decor. Perfect. Though, I must say, I am a little upset; The motif they use is almost exactly what I have in mind for my future Ramen shop. They must have somehow got inside my head and pilfered the look. These shitty pictures do not do the atmosphere justice:





The Food:

I ordered the Muu Ping and Baby Octopus Skewers. The Muu Ping is perfectly charred, succulent pork meat marinated in garlic, fish sauce, coconut milk, and sugar.

The Baby Octopus is marinated in lime, chilies, garlic, fish sauce, and cilantro. This marinade is very similar to the one used on the Boar Collar at Pok Pok. I am a bit of a Capsaicin wimp and I found this to be prohibitively spicy, though quite tasty regardless.

I also ordered the Pork Bun (read: "Baozi") which was quite good, though nothing to write home about.
The absolute winner of the evening was the Ju Pa Bao, an exceedingly juicy cutlet of pork loin chop that is fried in pork fat and placed, unadorned, in a light roll. This is one of the better sandwiches I have had in a while. The small bone in the cut of pork will probably insult many people's western sensibilities, but to me shows that they are keeping it real. A must have item.

I also enjoyed a very descent Thai iced coffee, which is perfectly sized (nothing makes me angrier than an undersized Thai iced coffee).

That and a side of sticky rice tied this meal together perfectly.

The exceptionally friendly wait staff made for a very pleasant meal. This is not an every day sort of place however, I walked out having spent nearly ten dollars more than I really wanted to, not to say that it is over priced, worth every penny. You get what you pay for. Highly recommended!


Song of the Day: If You Want Me To Stay, Sly And The Family Stone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay…Steph and I were nearly in tears (Steph was, I remained equable) in the talks that you might not be across the way. Who the hell can we peak through our blinds at now and not get in trouble? That being said… When you are in our neighborhoods call us and we will meet you for dinner.