Sunday, March 1, 2009

P.E. Wushu classes

So, as some of you may remember, I am taking two Wushu classes this term. I have been having a lot of fun with this. Connie Zhang is an awesome teacher. I talk a bit about her in the first couple of paragraphs of this post.

On monday nights I take an empty hand (meaning no weapons, just punching and Kicking) form with Jesse. This form is the third set of a four part series that I have previously learned the first two sets of. Though, it should be noted that I promptly forgot the second one when I learned it years ago. This class has not been the better of the two. The other students in the class are learning it painfully slowly; Jesse and I are pretty bored a lot of the time. Last week we finished all the moves, and upon practice we were shocked at how short it is. It took us eight weeks to learn a form that we probably could have crammed in a night or two. Oh well. Now that I know the whole thing I actually enjoy doing it. It just felt, I dunno, castrated without the ending. But, I am happy now. It's a fun little form. Anyway, It's during dinner on a monday night. Nobody is very gung-ho at that hour. And really, neither am I. I like this class particularly because I get to hang with Jesse and often grab a beer afterwards.

The other class, popularly referred to as the "Fan Dance," is a goddamn blast! The form is essentially devoid of practical application, which usually is a huge turn off for me, but is really fun regardless. Perhaps it's the driving, inspirational kung fu music. Perhaps it's the sound of ten peoples fans snapping open at once in perfect unison. Perhaps it's that I am totally gay for kung fu. It doesn't matter, this class is always a lot of fun and a great workout. For the most part, everybody is really engaged, having fun, and giving it their all, despite it being SUPER dorky.

We finished the fan form two weeks ago, so after we have done it a few times at the beginning of class, Connie has me teach the remainder of our fifty minute sessions. I have been teaching a Saber form that I know from my kung fu school. I am really impressed at how quickly some of the people have picked it up. On Tuesday Connie wants me to start sharing a staff form that I know. This is a hoot. I am teaching a college course. Okay, okay, fine, it's P.E., but still, pretty cool! On Thursday Connie asked if I would be her substitute if/when she gets sick, saying that she would give me keys and pay me. whoa. crazy.

So, enough about that. More about Kenny & Zuke's. I just can't help but take pictures of their sandwiches when I go. Check it:


Lookit' Walter!

And surly Kitty Mao Mao

I still have not added titles and descriptions of the Wong's food I posted. I will do it later. I have some Watchmen to read!

Song of the Day: Big Sea, Funki Porcini.

No comments: