Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Laurelhurst Market

I swung by the new Laurelhurst Market today for lunch. 'Twasn't bad. The place has an interesting model: artisanal butcher and charcuterie by day, fancy pants, yet low key, steakhouse by night. Check out the dinner menu on the site, it looks pretty good, but kinda spendy. The menu is (obviously) rather meat heavy, so keep that in mind.

I had the Porchetta sandwich on a ciabata roll with pepperoncinis, red leaf lettuce, and horseradish Dijon mustard. I'm not a fan of mustard OR pepperoncinis, but I gotta say, this was a damn fine sandwich. The immensely savory Porchetta was delicious, but the first bit was a little disappointing; Porchetta has an obscenely high fat content, so when they cut it off a roll straight out of the chill case it was a little gelatinous. I simply waited a minute for it to approach room temp and ate it then. It was wonderful.

They wrap their sandwiches like it's a cut of meat. cute.

In all its glory.

Unless you are shopping across the street at Music Millennium like I was, Laurelhurst Market should probably be passed over for your midday meal. With only six sandwiches available on their lunch menu, it could easily not be worth the trip for many people. I am very excited about what they are doing for their dinner though, and you should watch this space for a revue in the future. Until then I will probably be seen shopping at their great butcher counter.



Song of the Day: Kon Karne, MF Doom - This is a killer track.

No comments: