Thursday, April 2, 2009

Spring Term

I have finished the first week of the last term of my college career. I did nothing. I blame the flu. Mostly. I mean, the first day of class is always just spent getting the syllabus and that's it, which took up all of Monday and Tuesday. I took Wednesday off as a sick day. And today I had my metalsmithing class, which I felt totally out of place in. To get my degree I must take an upper division art class elective outside of my emphasis (printmaking), thus this metals class. All the other students in the class are advanced jewelry students who know exactly what they are doing and are familiar with one another. I spent the first hour today scribbling out some stupid ideas for a project in my notebook, keeping to myself, while everyone else was already bustling around, hammering copper, soldering silver, and raising brass. I felt in over my head. There was no work for me to do so I took off early.

I'm gonna do some thinking this weekend about all the projects I hope to work on/finish this term and make some game plans. My classes are all very self guided which deserves to be a good thing but could end up being a big slacking fest. I believe I will be motivated though, last term was lacking in motivation and I really didn't enjoy it. Also, I am a little pumped from the Chicago trip and that should light a fire under me.


Song of the Day: Movements, Roots Manuva

1 comment:

remigious said...

I had to take an upper division art class outside of my emphasis too...it was scary! I ultimately decided on taking Art in Elementary School, which was pretty cool. I wish you the best of luck in your metal smithing class! Who knows, you might end up with some really cool stuff.