Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Nippon no more

Anyone who knows me is undoubtedly aware that I have long been planning to move to Japan. There are many reasons for this, notably my strong desire to become fluent in Japanese, a language I have spent years studying but have never fully got a handle on. I believe that total immersion would really supply what I've been missing in my studies. Other reasons include a strong desire to study martial arts in Japan, learn authentic Japanese cookery, and the importance of living somewhere else in a different culture and out of my comfort zone for a bit.

...

guh, I started writing this yesterday, and just don't have the will to relate the whole story. Basically, my goal has always been to apply to JET. Last year I completely screwed up the application, and never even sent it. This year, I rectified this by busting my ass and producing what I thought was one hell of an application packet. I found out yesterday that I was not accepted. I was not even invited in for an interview. This is surprising and highly disappointing. I had been told by many people familiar with the program that with my back ground and particular passion for Japan I was more or less a shoe-in. Not being accepted was always a possibility, but I thought that the rejection, if it came, would be after an interview. To not even qualify for an interview, and not know why, is incredibly hard to swallow.

If I had been going to Japan, I would have been leaving in August. Now I don't know what to do. It made me realize that I need to take a more active role in the direction of my life. I have been very fortunate to have the job that I have, but it is a passive and uncreative (though, admittedly stable) way to live my life.


Let's see what is next.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I've heard JET is really competitive and that they test your Japanese during the interview... Maybe it depends. I'm sure it's more competitive considering the unemployment rate in the US. You should still look for opportunities in Japan if that's what you want to do! Don't give up!!