Monday, February 14, 2011

Have booty, will shake

I'm not sure how I began dancing, what influenced me, why I felt the need. I think of myself as somewhat of a shy person. I try not to flaunt, make a spectacle, or show off too much, thinking it to be boorish. But that is precisely what dancing is. It's putting yourself out there on the dance floor and moving in all sorts of awkward, crass, and suggestive ways for all to see.

I love it.

I have always had a strong affinity for music, and long ago noticed that it takes much less from a song to make me nod my head or tap my toe than other people. I can't help it, I feel the same kind of exertion when trying to not move my body to a beat as one might feel while attempting not to visibly flinch at a buddy swiping at their face. It's animal, it's innate, a reflex. There is no resisting it.

I remember clearly the summer of 2002 as the beginning of my desire to dance. I had attended many concerts in those months and just couldn't not dance. Unfortunately I had no idea how to, and resorted to the only movement I was familiar with: Martial arts. I must have looked a fool out there, doing high speed tai chi to the beat, but it felt good. As I've said, I have always loved music, but never participated in it's creation; Dancing revealed to me a means for active participation. Unfortunately, I was Single-Whipping, Roll-Back-And-Pushing, and Snake-Creeps-Downing to the point that I was once called out, over the sound system, by the lead singer of a band for doing chopsocky on the dance floor.

So, I started watching other people dance, picked out what seemed right and excluded what looked bad. I recalled my friend in high school who was always dancing in the halls and doing, what seemed to me at the time, improbable steps. I asked him where he learned to dance and he replied "BET music videos." So I started paying attention to the pro dancers whenever I saw music videos. What's funny is that as I found my own style I realized I was dancing more like the women I saw on MTV and less like the men; I would shimmy and shake, bounce my butt, and shake my shoulders. Dancing in this way is just more fun I think.

Eventually I realized that being self-conscious of my dancing actually made me a better dancer. If I knew someone might be watching me, I didn't want to make too much a fool of myself and would really try to nail the steps and work on my timing. If I'm dancing alone in my house I'm sloppy and carefree. If I'm at a concert or a club, I want to be getting down harder than anyone else out there.

I am by no means a great dancer, at all, but I frequently get complimented by strangers for my moves. I think this is hilarious. I just don't think they expect to see such a plain, non-flashy looking dude shake his ass like Shakira.

I think everyone should feel free to dance, but shyness and a self held belief that they can't often holds people back. If you are reading this and you are afraid to dance, I encourage you to get out there and do it. After all, everyone else is doing it too, and who are they to pass judgment?

No comments: