Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Kung fu anew

I'm recovering from what I see as roughly a one year lull in my martial arts practice. I'm going from attending one class a week, if even, to taking two classes and teaching one per week. Now, this is considerably less than the heyday of kung fu when I was going almost every day and practicing at home constantly; I was a kid then with little responsibility, I am a young adult now with still little responsibility, but now I have a demanding job. what can you do.

Anyway, I've really been feeling the kung fu lately. I think it's because of two things. Item the first: I have been going to Sean's new(ish) Monday night classes, which unlike the usual Sunday morning class he leads, this class he teaches, if you can see the distinction there. Sean was and is, a huge influence in my martial studies, and when I was younger he was my primary teacher for some time. So to be back in his class, hearing his instruction and following his direction, it takes my back to when I was first starting this journey. Item the second: I have been teaching my own class again. I took over a year off from teaching my Wednesday night classes for various reasons, but about two months ago I realized that it is something I need in my life. One of the best ways to learn something is by explaining it in detail to another person. That idea really rang true when I began teaching back in 2002; These days I feel like I'm shaking out the cobwebs as I instruct a student, reminding myself of all the skills and techniques that are now second nature to me, analyzing them anew, and concluding that I still have room to grow.

No comments: