Monday, December 29, 2008

Crema Bakery and Cafe



Crema is by far my most favorite Cafe. They are located on the corner of S.E. 28th and Ankeny. At Crema they truly aim for perfection. Their bakery, in my opinion, is the finest in the city, putting out amazing breads, pastries, and savory snacks. I am not usually one for drinking coffee, but I just can't stay away from their Vietnamese Iced Espresso. I am told by others that their more usual coffee drinks are superbly crafted. I personally love their home blended Chai, though this can vary wildly depending on which barista is making it that day, ranging from mildly spicy and rich to smoothly sweet with gobs of honey.

My meal of choice at Crema is a Vietnamese Iced Espresso with a Turkey and Brie Panini and a side of mixed olives. This sandwich is probably one of the best in Portland, though the Inheritance at the Red&Black cafe, and the Grilled Portabela [sic] sandwich at Gotham tavern are close competitors. They take two hardy slices of their ciabata, pile on succulent slices of turkey breast and slivers of a mild, creamy Brie. They then grill it with butter in a heavy duty panini press. They serve it with a small dish of honey/jalapano aioli to dip it in (this sauce is also spread inside the sandwich prior to grilling). I was told by Silas, one of the baristas I have become familiar with, that they now require you to ask for this dipping sauce to get it. I encourage this highly, for it really is a key element to this sandwiches sublimity. The sandwiches come with either a side of salad, cup of soup, or a small dish of olives. The mix of olives that they use is really quite good, I recommend these as the side.

They also serve a Caprese Panini with tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella with olive ciabata slices and pesto spread, and a tuna sandwich with lettuce and a faint dill flavor on a ciabata roll.

Today their Panini grill was in the shop, so I got some Pork and Bean Chili. Their soups are always superb, loaded with robust ingredients that balance perfectly and fill a belly.

At Crema they do baked goods right. The cookies, danishes, cup cakes, croissants, scones, cakes, and pies are second to none. As are their Quiches, muffins, galettes, and turnovers.

Also notable is the astounding number of highly attractive people that frequent the cafe. I will sometimes just sit with my jaw agape, gazing about the room. Frequently they hang some very neat art on their walls. Ah, let's see here… what other random thing have they got? Oh, there is an old man who seems to live there who wears an eye patch. Sometimes his wife is with him. He is notable because I have never once been there and not seen him. I go there a lot. I mean, a lot, I am known by name, and this guy is ALWAYS there. I often wonder how he lost his eye.

Here is the very boring and practically useless website they've got.
http://www.cremabakery.com/


2 comments:

Robert Wheeler said...

Damn you for making me hungry you bastard.
We totally have to have lunch there sometime.

I love that technique, with the before and after pictures bracketing your post. Can I steal and adapt that for something?

Kathy said...

Hmm, i´ve been there a couple times but i think i´ve neglected to be adventurous with their menu because i only recall ordering lattes and scones. I love it for the abundance of natural light that the garage door lets in :)