Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Lazy Onion Urban Farm


Today I went up to 63rd and Burnside to visit my friend Aaron on his farm. I believe I have mentioned it before. I am always very impressed with what he is doing there. The volume and variety of produce that he is producing is staggering and really inspiring. I lent a hand with harvesting garlic


The garlic will sit for a few weeks and dry above the chicken coop, it will then be ready for storing.

Aaron mentioned making onion rings for lunch with the sweet Walla walla onions he is growing. I noted that if he is already frying, we should make some fried Zucchini Blossoms (there were dozens of zucchini plants covered in the flowers). I had eaten them in Italy and been dying to try my hand at them, this seemed like the perfect time.
The fresh blossoms:

Simply dredged in egg (from the farm's chickens) and lightly rolled through herbed flower, then fried:

The final result is light and fluffy, crisp and flavorful, savory and filling:

The onion rings, fresh from the garden (who says home grown veggies have to be healthy?):

We crunched happily on sweet peas as Aaron grilled up some tasty salmon and fire roasted a few heads of the garlic we pulled up. Awesome. What an amazing lunch, almost everything we ate came from the farm.

Some more pictures:





Song of the Day: Shove It, Santogold

4 comments:

theamberkey said...

Fucking rad.

Twilight Spy said...

What amazing produce. My little Italian grandmother used to make us fried squash blossoms and they remain near the top of the list of favorite fried foods. Yum!

Kathy said...

It's too bad I can only grow a cactus here in AZ :p

Tess said...

Dan and I just made some fried squash flowers last week!